Posted on

Oral Supplement Overdose

When it comes to raising vitamin D levels, getting UV exposure directly to the skin is the best. When we get vitamin D through the skin, our bodies naturally stop absorbing it when we get to a certain level. This is the body’s way of avoiding any type of vitamin overdose. The same can not be said for oral supplements. It is possible to get your vitamin D levels too high and it can have some serious side effects.

It is very rare, but vitamin D can build up in the body and reach levels that can be toxic. More commonly, when vitamin D levels get too high you can experience side effects like:

  • Too much calcium in the blood
  • Nausea
  • Digestive distress (vomiting)
  • Kidney Failure

These are just a few of the symptoms that can occur from getting too much vitamin D. It can be beneficial to get vitamins both through the skin and orally, but you need to make sure that you are seeing a doctor on a regular basis to observe and maintain your levels.